Woo hoo! I finished my first knitted object that isn't a square, oblong, or triangle! After reading a number of knitting books and patterns, I was finally able to mentally get my arms around the mechanics of a simple knit sweater (yeah, I'm a slow learner), and so it was time to try my hand at one. Being the risk averse person that I am, a baby sweater seemed the best place to start for quick gratification:
(Hmmm, looks like it could stand some more blocking.) The sweater is adapted from the Baby Kimono pattern in the Summer 2005 issue of Interweave Knits. The original pattern is all garter stitch, but I wanted to try stockinette stitch with a seed stitch border. I also used Bernat's Handicrafter worsted weight cotton yarn (the photo makes it look pink, but it's actually peach), which knits to a different gauge than the Rowan Wool Cotton recommended in the pattern. I re-jiggered the pattern to adjust to my gauge by simply converting the original number of stitches into inches, then multiplying the result by my number of stitches per inch. Also, the sleeves looked a little short to me, so I added another four stitches (about 4/5ths of an inch).
Other firsts with this project: first piece in stockinette, first time using cable cast-on, first time using stitch holders, first three-needle bind-off, first time sewing pieces of knitting together.
It was so much fun - I'm ready to knit another!